RE: http://www.emilydunn.com/

by Leslie(at)wholespace.com

 Date:  Fri, 27 Oct 2000 11:19:16 -0500
 To:  "Lynnsey Skliros [ MTN - 3 Alice Lane ]" <skliro_l(at)mtn.co.za>
 Cc:  "'Craig T. Harding'" <info(at)guidenet.net>, HWG Critique List <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I agree that the offset border looks deliberate and even interesting.
It is well balanced. The image is soooo subjective, that I wouldn't
even begin to try to put stuff up that "pleases." Personally I really
dig it, imho your stepdaughter is immensely talented. I also think
your simple layout is elegant and compliments the artist.

I do agree however, that the background could be improved-perhaps
lighter. Does the required 'texture' indeed *have* to be texture? I
was thinking some of the mottled tones from the artist, rendered with
a very pale opacity might be interesting. However that would require
that you know how to create a tile, rather than use the ready made
ones. Nonetheless there are so many textured backgrounds available.
I'm sure you can come up with one more pleasing.

I can send you a few from my collection if it would be helpful.

Leslie

At 9:15 PM +0930 10/25/00, Kym Jones wrote:
>Something occurs to me and please, this is just my opinion. When it
>comes to choosing a piece of artwork, it's a really personal thing.
>I think by putting that one big "painting" up there you are doing
>her a disservice. Obviously, she's a very talented young lady, but I
>have to admit that that face skeered the living daylights outta me
>LOL.

>  At 1:15 PM -0400 10/25/00, Craig T. Harding wrote:
>>Some mentioned the offset looking border on the main pic. That's
>>actually canvas and a style used by some artists, noting that the wooden
>>frame covers it up if hung on a wall. She requested that this be showing
>>in the online version and the scan was registered exactly the way it
>>was. heheheh... It bothered me to begin with too. Sometimes I understand
>>that programmer type graphic people or left brain types, like me, don't
>>like things to be skewed. It hurts our senses, but after a while, I see
>>it the way she meant it and am beginning to like it better.
>>
>>I'm not that happy with the background texture or the image text
>>overlaying it, but it was her request. Someone here once noted that this
>>type texture looks like bathroom ceiling tile and, I guess, I agree.
>>But, it's her choice for now, and her professor said she should have a
>>texture. If anyone, like me, doesn't like it, suggest another. Give
>>me the Photoshop settings for a nicer texture and I'll try it.
-

                                                          ::
                                                          ::
   Leslie Berrie :  Wholespace.com
   (e) leslie(at)wholespace.com (t) 312.664.4424 (f) 312.664.4423
                                                          ::
                                                           :::
                                                            ::::
                                                              ::::