Re: Questionnaire page needs Netscape fix!

by Leslie(at)wholespace.com

 Date:  Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:22:44 -0600
 To:  "Nick Doylend" <ndoylend(at)hashishin.net>
 Cc:  <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Your table is beautiful!

I gave a lecture last night on writing clean html, and I wish I had
your source code to show as an example!
I had no problems in IE or NN regarding the layout of the table.
Everything lined up. If you'd like I can download the code and turn
the table borders on to see if anything is amiss.

Now the table colors are another issue. In IE the nested body is
white within the blue main body. In NN, you see the blue body, and
the white image/column labels. But the nested body stays blue.

I see you use class, ".body" associated with "div" to set the nested
body to white. I'm not an expert on the div tag, and in general NN
4.x is notoriously bad in supporting many CSS1 standards. However you
might try to set the table, and td tags directly, without resorting
to using a class.

table    { background: #ffffff; color: #333366; font-family: arial,
helvetica, sans-serif; }

and/or

td    { background: #ffffff; color: #333366; font-family: arial,
helvetica, sans-serif; }

Hope this is helpful,
Leslie

At 12:00 AM +0000 11/20/00, Nick Doylend wrote:
>Hi, as part of a research project I've set up a questionnaire which submits
>values to an Access database.  That's the easy bit.  I'm having no end of
>troubles getting it to display in
>NN.  I'd be really grateful if you'd have a look at it in IE5 to see what
>it's supposed to look like, then look at it using NN and then help me fix
>it!  Both the CSS and HTML validate perfectly.  I think the tables need
>neatening up somehow, by specifying absolute widths perhaps, but then the
>page won't scale properly will it?  The radio button columns ought to be all
>the same width and nicely spaced, the text on the left should vary its width
>as necessary.  The other problem is to do with the DIV tag, I think.  I'm
>trying to get a white page with a blue border around it at the very edge on
>the right, left and bottom sides, and the heading and logo on the blue
>background at the top.
>
>The demonstration page is at:
>http://www.hashishin.net/quest/qdemo.html
>
>The stylesheet is at:
>http://www.hashishin.net/quest/style.css
>
>Thanks very much for your help,
>
>Nick Doylend

-

                                                          ::
                                                          ::
   Leslie Berrie :  Wholespace.com
   (e) leslie(at)wholespace.com (t) 312.664.4424 (f) 312.664.4423
                                                          ::
                                                           :::
                                                            ::::
                                                              ::::