Re: HTML Pages

by bower(at)polarnet.com (Will)

 Date:  Wed, 17 Dec 1997 18:18:25 -0900
 To:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
        Hey Cosmos,

As always, these are just my personal opinions. Use at your own risk. :)

Powermac 275mhz  64Mb Ram  24-bit color 832x624 res
33.6 dial-up connection   NN 4.03, NN 3.01, IE 3.01

>The URL is: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Horizon/7544
>I am particularly interested in comments on:
>- Quality of graphics

        Good to excellent quality for a personal homepage.

>- layout

        See under "site attractiveness".

>- colour schemes

        Rapidly changing. Why have so many different backgrounds and color
schemes under one site? I'd personally prefer to see more uniformity in
design.

>- use of frames

        A very subjective question. Personally, I could do without them.
OTOH, this frame setup is cleanly executed and simple to navigate, so...

>- practical usefulness of page

        Hmm.... well, the HTML Tutorial could probably use some more
instructions for newbies. For example, if they don't know how to write HTML
or what a homepage can contain, they probably don't know how to save a page
to their hard drive, especially from a frame window. When conducting
classes on HTML and computers, it's better to explain too *much* than to
explain too little.

>- ease of navigation

        Excellent.

>- background images

        See color scheme.

>- Does the title graphic (frames version) fit in? (stupid question)

        I don't see why it wouldn't.

>- speed of loading

        Typical for Geocities, 200-500 bytes/sec. The main frames page took
just over a minute twenty seconds to load. Tolerable at my connection
speed.

>- Is the site attractive?

        Well, IMHO, it's about a 5 out of 10 for attractiveness. I guess
there just wasn't anything original about the layout and graphics. Sorry.
:(

>- other general comments?

        If you click the Joke page button from the main frame, the right
hand window presents the user with a page asking for frames/no frames. I'd
restructure the link so that when the visitor clicks on the button in the
frame, they're automatically transferred to the frame version of the Joke
page. Minor, but annoying point.

>Thanks. Enjoy the pages!
>Cozmos

        You're welcome. Hope I was able to help. (:

                                                        Will Bower