Re: Critique - Redesign of Customer Page

by bower(at)polarnet.com (Will)

 Date:  Thu, 1 Jan 1998 23:51:16 -0900
 To:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
        Hey Sal,

The following is purely IMHO (In My Personal Opinion). Use at your own risk. :)

Powermac 275mhz  64meg RAM  24-bit, 832x624, 15" monitor
33.6 dialup   NN 4.01

>Hi All,
<SNIP>
>Anyways, please send me some constructive criticism on the re-designed site:
>
>        http://www.pro-softsystems.com
>================================
>Saleh (Sal) Kaskas
>E-Mail: kaskas(at)ix.netcom.com
<SNIP>

        I'll preface this by saying that, because you seem to have a very
demanding client, I won't critique any of the content-related or visual
issues. I'm just doing a bare-bones technical review, for what that's
worth. :)

1: Well, load-times are much better (about 1.2 kbytes/sec).
2: Providing text versions of each e-mail address is very important. For
example,

        <A HREF="mailto:soandso(at)anon.com">Email: soandso(at)anon.com</A>.

        In addition to providing a contact source if the webpage is printed
out, many browsers (new and old) are incapable of using the MAILTO tag. I
can't stress how important it is to "textualize" the address; you'll miss
out on contact and feedback from a large percentage of your audience if you
rely on a simple link.
3: Perhaps the Products and Services page could be broken up into several
pages. The current product.htm page is 77K, which is a bit much for many
browsers and/or processors to handle efficiently.
4: There's no information on the Exp.htm page. ???
5: Ditto for the client.htm page. I guess you're still waiting on info from
your client.

        That's all the purely technical problems I see. I have to be
honest, I still don't really like the appearance of the site, but clients
can be weird sometimes. :) Good luck!

                                                                Will Bower