Re: The Chateau has undergone yet *another* facelift

by bower(at)polarnet.com (Will)

 Date:  Fri, 2 Jan 1998 10:15:07 -0900
 To:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
        Hey Nat,

Powermac 275mhz  64meg RAM  24-bit, 832x624, 15" monitor
33.6 dialup   NN 4.03

>Hi all =)
>
>Well, after hearing some opinions/criticism (most of it constructive,
>although some people seemed to be having a bad day when they visited), I
>re-did some pages, and have gotten my site to make a little more sense,
>looks-wise. I would like to know what you think of the new look, and if
>you didn't see it before (I basically changed the color-scheme and made
>it look more "grown-up"), whether you like the new look. Site is at
>http://www.ben2.ucla.edu/~nate/, I really appreciate all *constructive*
>input. Thanks! =)
>
>-Nat

1: Hmmm... horizontal scrolling at 600x480. I see that you have a "best
viewed at 800x600" statement, but still... I don't see any real reason why
the page has to be so wide, excluding so many visitors to your site. If you
shrink the size of the images, I'm nearly positive that you can design the
site to 600-width standards.
2: The webawards are nice, but is it absolutely necessary to display them
on the index page? This page is the first thing your visitors are seeing.
Why not focus the main page on what is contained within the site, rather
than what other people think about the site?
3: Ditto for the webcounter, netscape Now!, AAA USA, Starting Point, and
come.to advertising banners.
4: Ummm... horizontal scrolling in the *frames* version at *832x624*. That
could be a major problem.
5: Displaying the HTML Guild logo without the correct text "The author is a
member of IMAGE" seems to be a real firestarter with the HWG
administration. Check http://www.hwg.org/services/logo/index.html for more
information.

        I didn't see the original version of this site, so I can't comment
on your latest tweaks. However, the site does have good graphics, a
workable navigation system, and unobtrusive frames (except for the
scrolling problem). I hope this helps. Good luck!  :)

                                                        Will Bower