Re: ok im nervous but...

by bower(at)polarnet.com (Will)

 Date:  Tue, 6 Jan 1998 14:50:13 -0900
 To:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
        Hey, Enigma

The following is purely IMHO. Please read at your own risk. :)

Powermac 275mhz  64meg RAM  24-bit, 832x624, 15" monitor
33.6 dialup   NN 4.03

<SNIP>
>http://www.netcom.ca/~enigma/INDEX.html
>
>thanks in advance,
>enigma.

1: Designing a site for an photographer friend was exactly how I got my
start in web design, but my site wasn't *half* as well done as this one. :)
2: Personally, I don't like Javascript Onmouse commands, particularly when
they take over my status bar (as with the Resume and Email links). If
possible, I'd ditch the Onmouse script.
3: It typically pays to write out your email address (ie, "Email Dawne at:
suchand(at)such.com") Many browsers, such as mine (NN 4.03), can't use a
straight MAILTO link.
4: Rather than using "start" as the link back to the main page, maybe you
could say "Return" or "The Main Page". It took me a minute to figure out
what "Start Over" meant. :)
5: If possible, use your server logs to track access numbers, instead of
the counter display.
6: Try viewing the site at 600x480 resolution. Everything completely falls
apart, including horizontal scrolling in three frame windows. Given the
layout of this site with bordering frames, I don't see any way to fix this
problem, short of a complete redesign.
7: If this site is intended to commercially promote the artist, then, yes,
you should offer a non-frames version.

        Overall, this is a well-done site, on par with what many commercial
web design agencies produce. The biggest problem is whether or not to fix
the 600x480 problem, which is a decision that should be up to the artist
(stick with a good design, or increase the accessability?). Good luck!

                                                        Will Bower