Re: Please critique

by bower(at)polarnet.com (Will)

 Date:  Wed, 14 Jan 1998 10:53:34 -0900
 To:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
        Hey Debbie and Brian,

The following is purely IMHO. Please read at your own risk. :)

Powermac 275mhz  64meg RAM   24-bit, 832x624, 15" monitor
33.6 dialup  NN 4.03

>We've recently redesigned a web site for a school, and we'd like some
>feedback [please be nice :-)] regarding the layout, design and usability
>of the site.
>http://www.baircommunity.org
>Thank you very much!
>Debbie and Brian

1: The layout is good; it's simple and easy to navigate. However, IMHO, the
black background is unnecessary. Reading the bright text is difficult, and
the lack of texture and color in the background gives the page a feeling of
emptiness. Adding some texture or color to the background would really
help; however, this is just my opinion.
2: business.htm: "bookeeping" is typically spelled as "bookkeeping" or
"book-keeping". I've seen all three versions, but I believe that
"bookkeeping" is the most accepted.
3: Adding more information about the school would be nice. Who are the
teachers and staff? Is the school privately or publicly funded? What
institutions are they affiliated with? Is the school accredited, and by
whom? How large is the enrollment? What's the school's history (when was it
formed, any special events, etc). These are just a few of the possible
questions a visitor, such as myself, might have. Having more info about the
school would give it a much better, more substantial feeling.
4: The coding looks good. However, the addition of a DTD statement would
help, as would adding meta keywords.

        Overall, this is a great site. I'd personally like to see more info
about the school, and could do without the black bg, but there's very few
technical problems that I can see. Excellent job!

                                                        Will Bower