Re: Request for Critique

by bower(at)polarnet.com (Will)

 Date:  Fri, 16 Jan 1998 16:05:46 -0900
 To:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
        Hey, Tom

The following is purely IMHO. Please read at your own risk. :)

Powermac 275mhz  64meg RAM   24-bit, 832x624,15" monitor, 1/2 screen
browser window, 33.6 dialup    NN 4.03

>http://www.dragondata.com/~storm/
>

>Capt. Tom Scott

1: The three major images on the index page (Eggdrop applet, flash5.gif,
and the nav. map) don't really have anything to do with each other.
Individually, the images are flashy, but together, they just seem to create
conflicting patterns. Perhaps the images could be reworked to have a more
common theme?
2: I agree with Kersti on the button names and the lack of introductory
text. Give your audience a reason why they want to explore the site, then
make the navigation more descriptive.
3: Why have two different nav maps on the index page, especially since both
present the same links? I would suggest one nav map (w/onmouse) and one
text-only set of links.
4: The pop-up warning window for the War Zone section trails off in mid
sentence. Ooops?
5: Now that I've explored the site, I'm *really* annoyed by the constantly
changing navigation systems. Every time I see a link, I have to check the
status bar to see if it's part of your site or not. JMO, but I strongly
suggest that you pick one image map or nav system and stick to it.
6: I won't even suggest text only or javaless versions. You've got a target
audience, and your high-end design makes that very clear. :)

         I thought the IRC warbot thing had been wiped out long ago.
Anyways, I would suggest concentrating more on tying the site into a
cohesive, integrated layout and design. You have a lot of flash, and a fair
amount of substance, but travelling from one page to the next is like
moving between different sites. Hope that helps. Good luck!

BTW: I'm dead square in the middle of your target audience (male, 18, 9K+
hours w/computer design).

                                                                Will Bower