Re: new address/new look/right URL

by bower(at)polarnet.com (Will)

 Date:  Tue, 30 Dec 1997 22:51:59 -0900
 To:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
<SNIP>
>http://www.netrox.net/~storyman
>
>Mark

        Hey Mark,

Powermac 275mhz  64 meg RAM  24-bit color  832x624  15" screen
33.6 dialup  NN 4.03, NN 3.01, IE 3.0

1: I personally like the jagged look of the Mark's Copy title. IMHO, it
very accurately resembles ink typesetting, which ties in with the
"advertising/marketing/promotions" concept. Some of the other images have a
grainy look; to me, they look like scanned pages taken straight from a
magazine. Perhaps you could try experimenting scanning the images with
different resolutions and color settings. Also, the jpg format would
probably work better for these images, as well as giving you a smaller
image size.

2: If possible, I would suggest dropping the "best experienced with IE" and
"Web Searching" banners on the ~storyman/newsbird_cover.htm page. The IE
banner isn't needed, since I don't see any browser-specific coding, and
commercial banners tend to distract the reader from the content of the
site, IME. Also, by dropping the mentioned banners, you'll end up with a
neatly squared page, instead of the current layout, which has the banners
"dangling" off the end of the page.

3: The ~storyman/Operative_Notes_Webpage.htm,
~storyman/Chalk_Board_Webpage.htm, and ~storyman/Rough_Proof_webpage.htm
pages each have a different BG color. Is that intended?

4: The ~storyman/marks_copy_homepage.htm also has several commercial
banners (WebSearching and Addme). See no. 2. :)

5: The counter on the index page: is it necessary? Many ISP's have
searchable server logs, which will give you an more accurate count of site
hits, as well as a ton of other good information, without using a counter.
The current counter is relatively benign, but it tells the reader how
popular the site is, and therefore what they should expect from it, before
the site's content has had a chance to speak for itself. If possible, I'd
suggest using the server logs instead of a counter.

6: Putting a text version of your e-mail address on each page is a good
idea. Some browsers can't make use of the mailto: tag, and other readers
might be printing out your webpages for later review.

        Overall, I really like this site. Good graphics, simple, effective
layout, and quick downloading speeds are the best parts of the site. The
content is consise and focused, but I would suggest a little bit more on
what *you* can offer (ie, your resume, equipment, prices) as well as other
ways to contact you (phone no., business 'snailmail' address). Great job,
Mark!

                                                        Will Bower