Re: Critique Customer RHIRT Page

by bower(at)polarnet.com (Will)

 Date:  Thu, 1 Jan 1998 23:51:23 -0900
 To:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
        Hey Sal,

The following is purely IMHO (In My Personal Opinion). Use at your own risk. :)

Powermac 275mhz  64meg RAM  24-bit, 832x624, 15" monitor
33.6 dialup   NN 4.01

>Hi All,
<SNIP>
>        http://www.rhirt.com
>
>Sal
>================================
>Saleh (Sal) Kaskas
>E-Mail: kaskas(at)ix.netcom.com
>================================
<SNIP>

1: Hmmm... I hope I don't offend you with this. Do you advise your clients
that you're using a standardized layout design in the creation of their
sites? The layout similarities between the "www.rhirt.com" and
"www.pro-softsystems.com" sites are striking. If the design is part of a
package deal (ie: Business site, 200k total text, 15 graphics, $xxx), then
ok. However, if the clients are under the assumption that they're getting
personalized websites, you might find yourself in a lot of trouble,
including criminal fraud. In either case, I would suggest that you make
sure that your client *completely* understands what they're getting.
2: Check the site in 600x480 res. You'll get the dreaded horizontal scroll,
as well as *enormous* graphics. Maybe the size and scale of the page could
be toned down some?
3: I like the organization of the personnel.htm page. The table makes it
simple to identify and contact all of the employees. However, maybe you
could include the business address and phone no. on this page, so that
*all* of the different ways of contacting the business are located on one
page.
4: I'll leave the small stuff (webcounters, "best view with...", animated
"email" gifs) alone, since it seems to be part of your design style.
(That's not meant as an insult.) Everyone has different ideas on what looks
good, which is why web design is an art form, not a science. :)

        Overall, I'll admit that I'm very worried about the design
similarities between the two sites that you've submitted for review,
especially since, in my personal opinion, the layout isn't very appealling
on either site. The resolution problem should also be fixed, since 600x480
constitutes the viewing res of most websurfers. I hope this helps. Good
luck!

                                                                Will Bower