Re: Elysian Internet Services - fixed??

by bower(at)polarnet.com (Will)

 Date:  Mon, 12 Jan 1998 18:31:53 -0900
 To:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>http://www.elysian.com.au
>Thanx and kind regards
>
>Kersti in Australia

        Hey, Kersti

The following is purely IMHO. Please read at your own risk. :)

Powermac 275mhz  64meg RAM   24-bit, 832x624, 15" monitor
33.6 dialup  NN 4.03

1: Whoopee! The javascript nav system works much better.
2: My original comments No. 1 and 2, regarding the HWG logo and the index
page grammar, still stand. I'm not picky about the "organisations"
spelling, since Aussies typically do everything differently (if not
better), :), but the HWG rules are very specific about how the "author is a
member of" can be displayed (single horizontal line, no breaks allowed).
3: At 832x624, the right frame window still has a horizontal scroll. Try
moving the noframes button.gif to a different spot, inline with the rest of
the page.
4: design.html  Horizontal scrolling, this time obscuring half of the
images. To give you a reference, the right hand window on my browser is
wide enough to see each side of the Elysian Internet Services logo_main.gif
image, but no more. I run my browser window at the standard NN width;
perhaps you're viewing the site with a full 800-width browser window?
5: Excellent job on the whyweb.html page. You've presented several
interesting new ways to look at commercial sites, especially the passive
consumer bit. Perhaps some statistics (no. of people on the 'Net, the
growth potential of the 'Net, the ratio of costs between convential
advertising and web advertising, etc) would help substantiate your
dialogue.
6: On the services.html page: "Standard high quality graphics for
navigation" seems to be a contradiction. Why not drop the "standard" part
in exchange for something more descriptive, such as "universal" or
"user-friendly"?
7: "One month's free hosting on Elysian's server" Don't forget to remind
the client that they'll need to pay for future hosting. A simple target
link from the free hosting bit to your hosting prices table should work.

        The only big problem I see with this site is the constant
horizontal scrolling. Personally, I would suggest designing to 600-width
standards, but it's your choice. Otherwise, excellent job. Good luck!

                                                        Will Bower