Re: Sample Board Decision: Candidates please respond

by simone(at)genesisnetwork.net (Demitrius)

 Date:  Sat, 17 Jan 1998 18:29:37 -0800
 To:  <hwg-elections(at)hwg.org>,
"Ann Navarro" <ann(at)webgeek.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Scenario One:
>
>Giant Software Company approaches the Guild, wanting to donate server
>hardware and software, as well as a $50,000 cash donation. In exchange,
>they are asking for a statement of donation (e.g. servers provided by GSC)
>and a logo to be placed prominently on the front page, and for "bragging
>rights" that state the Guild relies on GSC servers to conduct our virtual
>business.
>
>Should the Guild accept such a donation?

My first question would be, "Do we need the servers and software?" I already
know we could use the $50k.  My second question would be, "What are the full
terms and conditions regarding this 'donation'?"  My third question would
be, "What do the other board members think?"

>Would you approve the quid pro quo?

quid pro quo
Pronunciation: "kid-"prO-'kwO
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin, something for something
Date: 1591
Something given or received for something else; also, a deal arranging a
quid pro quo.

See previous answer.

>What if they wanted more visibility? Free banner ads? A dedicated
>"sponsors" page with promotional material?

This should all be negotiated *before* the deal is made. Spelled out
succinctly. That way there are no surprises later on. Of course, we could
always reevaluate and take a look at what they are willing to do for the
extra visibility. You know, another quid pro quo.

>Would you offer something else in exchange?

Off the top of my head, I think offering banner ad space would be a
worthwhile compromise if we, collectively, felt that what they were offering
would serve the good of the guild. To be sure, some would object, but I am
simply stating my opinion.

>If you were to turn it down, what justification would you use?

Depends on the situation. I would turn it down if what they were offering
was not worth what they were asking. If they were unwilling to sign our
agreement clearly defining what we expect in return, then I'd opt to turn it
down.

>Does your decision best server the membership and the corporation at the
>same time?

Ideally, it should. That would be up to the negotiating skills and acumen of
the board.
Sorry to be so vague. But without more specifics, and feedback from other
board members, it's difficult to play out these "what if's".

Regards,
Demitrius >I<