Re: Second Scenario: Candidates please respond

by simone(at)genesisnetwork.net (Demitrius)

 Date:  Sat, 17 Jan 1998 18:38:37 -0800
 To:  <hwg-elections(at)hwg.org>,
"Ann Navarro" <ann(at)webgeek.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Scenario Two:
>
>The Guild has expended significant staff resources in developing
>proprietary database and other business tools software. The board is
>approached by another web organization that wants us to share that
>software. How do you respond, and why?

Define "share". Do you mean, give away for nothing? Or a trade?

I would ask what they are willing to offer in return. What type of "web
organization" are they? Programmers? Designers? Artists? ISPs? Could we
benefit by promoting the HWG on their website? Yes? No?

If they offered us access to resources of theirs that had potential for the
Guild, then I would entertain such a proposal.

I would hesitate to give away our proprietary software just for the asking.
It's an organizational asset. I expect us to treat it as such.

Regards,
Demitrius >I<