Re: IRC Chat

by nancy coulter <cflame(at)blazenet.net>

 Date:  Fri, 06 Feb 1998 00:05:50 -0500
 To:  hwg-elections(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 10:07 AM 2/5/98 -0500, TANYA SPAIN wrote:
>Nancy, no I did not realize this. I was under the impression that the
>GBer's communicated via direct e-mail and that there was a list set up
>specifically for the GB.

yup, there is ... and it's probably the tool that is used to most for
communication (as joe cline pointed out earlier) but it's not the only one.

>Furthermore, if the IRC _is_ the medium used for the GB meetings, I would
>hope that the GB would not want to exclude important communications from
>other GBer's, or any members for that matter, based upon their operating
>system! I would also hope that my possible election wouldn't hinder upon my
>operating system.

nope, your possible election doesn't hinder on your OS... never even said
that or tried to imply that at all.

>Matt and Bart offered some suggestions for getting help with this technical
>issue today. I will follow their suggestions. I do hope that I can find
>something, and will notify the Guild if I do. This issue is important, so
>members, such as myself, can participate in IRC communications in general.
>I see this being an important issue for the Guild to address, as I would
>hope that the Guild would be interested in making IRC communication
>available to all members.

IRC communication is available to all guild members ... if you have
internet access, then you can get IRC access.

>I don't understand how this has anything to do with whether or not someone
>can fulfill their GB duties.

well, ya gotta go to the GB meetings to be on the GB. and those meetings
are held on IRC ... so if you can't figure out how to get IRC to work -
then ya got a problem if you want to be a GB member (IMO)

>In addition, I am sad to hear that this is
>"most important means of communication".

NOTE: i did NOT say that IRC was *the* most important means of communication.

i said "aside from mailing lists and informal chats using ICQ, i would
guess that IRC is one of the most important means of communication amongst
guild volunteers. especially GB members."

meaning: IRC is an important means of communication, but not THE most
important means of communication (seems you left out that word "one" in
quoting me - which does change the meaning)

>I find it hard to believe that the
>Guild would chose a method of communication from which some members and
>volunteers could be excluded.

none are excluded

>I hope that I can find a .sea and hope to
>share that info with the Guild. Otherwise, if I am following your logic
>correctly, I read your comment above as suggesting that I could not be a
>Guild volunteer, in any capacity, because I would not be able to particpate
>in IRC chats, because the Guild has chosen a mode of communication not
>compatible with my operating system?

nope, not what i was saying

>Well, then, you'd lose your wager because I did post for help, to the
>address specifically listed on the HWG site: irc(at)hwg.org    I have yet to
>receive a response!

actually, i'd win that wager. i said "if you posted on here"... "here"
being the -elections list. you sent mail to irc(at)hwg.org ... not the
elections list. since you have posted on here (after the IRC meetings) you
have receieved responses ... just like i said you would :)

>The only responses to date are from Bart and Matt on
>- -elections!!

which was exactly where i said you would get help from :) you just waited
till it was too late to get help ... that's the way things go i guess.

- nancy

(btw: if you are wondering about GB meetings, you may want to use the
Guild's archives and do a search for posts on hwg-ops with the subject "GB
meeting agenda" ... before every GB meeting, an agenda is posted to -ops.
that's one of the ways that the general membership knows that there is a
meeting and what is going on in that meeting)