Re: Candidates representing me

by Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg(at)idyllmtn.com>

 Date:  Mon, 12 Jan 1998 14:30:20 -0800
 To:  Deborah Adelman <dadelman(at)q-com.com>
 Cc:  hwg-elections(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 03:46 p.m. 01/12/98 -0600, Deborah Adelman wrote:
>>Jimmie's sig reads: "Religon is Man reaching to a god.  Jesus Is God
>>reaching to man."

>This may seem petty to many of you & it is just my own humble opinion, but
>this sig line is offensive to me. I am not Christian. Jimmie, you are
>wanting to represent me to the world as the HWG GB memeber? Then I think
>you should give some consideration to how some of us may feel turned off by
>personal statements of a religious nature.

Uhm, I don't think Jimmie's personal religious beliefs are an
issue here, nor should his signature file be one either.  Board
members are free to have whatever they want in their sig files;
the only time it might POSSIBLY matter is when they are EXPLICITLY
and OPENING speaking "officially" for the Board or the Guild.

Those times are rare.  Those times I check my own signature, and
make sure it's the plain-jane "Guild president" sig I often use
here.  However, the rest of the time, I'm free to put whatever
I like in my sig, when participating on Guild lists, just as
anyone else is.

I don't believe Jimmie's sig needs to be a factor at _all_ in
this election, and I'd be quite sickened if anyone's faith (or
lack thereof) played a role in HWG politics.

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn(at)hwg.org>
President, HTML Writers Guild