Re: Candidates representing me

by Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg(at)idyllmtn.com>

 Date:  Mon, 12 Jan 1998 14:54:30 -0800
 To:  Deborah Adelman <dadelman(at)q-com.com>
 Cc:  hwg-elections(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 03:46 p.m. 01/12/98 -0600, Deborah Adelman wrote:
>Jimmie, you are
>wanting to represent me to the world as the HWG GB memeber?

One more thing I wanted to clarify here:

Although the Governing Board members are elected by the
(voting) membership, they are not here to _represent the
members_; this is not a representational democracy or
republic.  Board members are elected to _govern the Guild_.

That means that they represent the _Guild's_ interests
before they represent _your_ interests.  When you are voting
for a member of the GB, you are voting for someone whom you
would trust to run the HWG -- not voting for someone to
represent you.

This is a tricky point, and I'm prepared to repeat it until
it sinks in for everyone (get ready, Fred the Rock), because
it's also an important point:  The Guild is not run as a
representative democracy, and you are voting for someone to
lead the Guild, not someone to represent you.

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn(at)hwg.org>
President, HTML Writers Guild