Re: Moral/religion issues

by Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg(at)idyllmtn.com>

 Date:  Sun, 18 Jan 1998 10:21:49 -0800
 To:  cindy(at)raenet.com
 Cc:  "eva" <eva(at)algonet.se>, <hwg-elections(at)hwg.org>, simone(at)genesisnetwork.net (Demitrius)
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 02:39 p.m. 01/17/98 -0500, Cindy Svec wrote:
>I think we need to limit the scope of HWG's mission to what is
>clearly stated already in its purpose. And that doesn't include
>taking up the torch for moral, political, public service, enviro,
>religious, etc. issues.

I agree with Cindy 100% on this.  I urge everyone who is
going to vote to carefully read over the Bylaws of the
Guild, specifically the purpose/charter part, and be _very_
aware of why the Guild is here, and what we do.

The Bylaws are described on the website as our "bible" for
the HWG, and that's not far off.  I personally review this
important document once a month or so do; I view it as a
blueprint for what we should be doing.

Any candidate whose views are _not_ in accordance with the
stated purpose and bylaws of the Guild should be a red flag
to you out there; why is this person running for the Board
of an organization, if they don't support the documents
that define the org?

(Counter-arguments presented here:  "Okay, so you're saying
that if someone disagrees with you, they shouldn't run?"  No,
not at all -- disagreeing with Kynn is fine, but disagreeing
with the _bylaws_ is not; if you won't support the bylaws,
as you would be legally required to do, you shouldn't run
for office.  "But can't the Board change the bylaws?"  Yes
and no; please keep in mind that anyone elected will be one
person of 11 on the GB, and this makes it very hard for one
individual, no matter how strong their rhetoric may be, to
make fundamental changes in the nature of the Guild.  Work
within the existing bylaws and Guild, yes, there's a lot
that can be done; change the Guild at a basic level, prob-
ably not.)

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn(at)hwg.org>
President, HTML Writers Guild