Membership status

by tcspain(at)unccvm.uncc.edu (TANYA SPAIN)

 Date:  Tue, 20 Jan 1998 14:26:41 -0500
 To:  hwg-elections(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Just out of curiousity, are the current candidates "plus"
> members?

I'm in limbo!

I "think" I am a Plus member, as I submitted a requisition to the Univesity
Purchasing Department in November to become a "Plus" member. I have
received no confirmation of that being recieved yet, not by the University
nor by the Guild. All I have is my Guild verification code. So, basicly, I
am not aware of my current membership status! (BTW, how long does it
usually take to receive my Member ID Number?)

I would, however, like to add that, although I do think the candidate
status is interesting, I do not see it as a major factor in voting because
it is clearly stated that it is not a requirement. We've had a lot of
finger-pointing about non-required issues and I think that it masks the
real issues at stake: who will be most qualified. The $ you have or have
not contributed to the Guild and the fact that you did or did not submit a
candidate profile may seem like good "quickie" measures, but as we have
seen in the discussions, are impacted by so many extenuating circumstances
(e.g., the weather, even!). I would hate for the debate to now turn into
who is better: the non-paying basic member, the paying $20 Value member
(who cannot vote) or the paying $35 Plus member (who can vote). Yipes!

Although I do not think a candidate should be elected, or not elected,
based on non-required issues such as membership status or lack of profile,
that is _my _ opinion. I am sure others may not agree and may, therefore,
vote differently (if they are eligible and choose to vote)!