Re: Banner Ads Debate

by tcspain(at)unccvm.uncc.edu (TANYA SPAIN)

 Date:  Tue, 27 Jan 1998 10:43:25 -0500
 To:  hwg-elections(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I agree that they would want something on the first page, hence the
suggestion for the sponsors link appearing on the first page. Most sponsors
would not have a problem having their name and logo listed on a sponsors
page. Opinions are one thing, but the proof is in the pudding at:

HOMEPAGE: http://www.uncc.edu/~mixedmsg/
SPONSORS' PAGE: http://www.uncc.edu/~mixedmsg/sponsors.html

(In case you don't go to the site, the sponsors were: BellSouth, Bell
Atlantic NYNEX Mobile, The Charlotte Observer, Duke Energy Corporation,
Loeffler Ketchum Mountjoy, NationsBank, North Carolina Arts Council,
TimeWarner Cable)

As I have mentioned in earlier posts, we raised a lot of cash from these
very high profile sponsors, all of whom agreed to donate their money in
exchange for only a credit on the sponsors page of our website and the
sponsors' page in any printed material (we had a  program).

The key was making our position crystal clear in our negotiations with the
sponsors. First, they supported our cause and our audience*, so they were
willing to support us financially. Second, we made it CLEAR in verbal
discussions and in writing that we wanted their money but did not want this
conference (in this case) to be about the sponsors. We wanted to downplay
that and would only display it on a sponsors' page (on the web and in our
program).

They supported our position on this and they supported us with their
donations. It is possible.

Tanya Spain

* The University's profile had a lot to do with this, too. As I have gone
on & on about, it is name recognition. The more we build the name
recognition of the Guild, the easier it will be to get financial support
from corporate sponsors, grants and paid memberships. It will also be
easier to attract volunteers and even hire employees. People will want to
put their experience on resumes, it will be recognized by employers and, if
hiring, recruits will be interested in working for the Guild and see it as
a stable organization. Right now, can we promise all of that? I think our
case is tough because there is so little name recognition. Excuse me for
being a cheerleader, but we are a GREAT organization and our cause is
noble. We need to make more people aware of that!!

All of this in reference to: