Re: IRC Chat

by tcspain(at)newmail.uncc.edu (TANYA SPAIN)

 Date:  Thu, 5 Feb 1998 10:07:39 -0500
 To:  hwg-elections(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
        >tanya, hopefully you realize that the GB has regular meetings via IRC.
Nancy, no I did not realize this. I was under the impression that the
GBer's communicated via direct e-mail and that there was a list set up
specifically for the GB.

Furthermore, if the IRC _is_ the medium used for the GB meetings, I would
hope that the GB would not want to exclude important communications from
other GBer's, or any members for that matter, based upon their operating
system! I would also hope that my possible election wouldn't hinder upon my
operating system.

Matt and Bart offered some suggestions for getting help with this technical
issue today. I will follow their suggestions. I do hope that I can find
something, and will notify the Guild if I do. This issue is important, so
members, such as myself, can participate in IRC communications in general.
I see this being an important issue for the Guild to address, as I would
hope that the Guild would be interested in making IRC communication
available to all members.

        > i would guess that
        >IRC is one of the most important means of communication amongst guild
        >volunteers. especially GB members.
I don't understand how this has anything to do with whether or not someone
can fulfill their GB duties. In addition, I am sad to hear that this is
"most important means of communication". I find it hard to believe that the
Guild would chose a method of communication from which some members and
volunteers could be excluded. I hope that I can find a .sea and hope to
share that info with the Guild. Otherwise, if I am following your logic
correctly, I read your comment above as suggesting that I could not be a
Guild volunteer, in any capacity, because I would not be able to particpate
in IRC chats, because the Guild has chosen a mode of communication not
compatible with my operating system? I hope that's not the case.

        >as far as the turnout goes ... i realize that there wasn't a HUGE
notice in
        >advance about all of the IRC sessions. but at least one of them
had been
        >made public since way before the candidates were even candidates -
and the
        >turnout for that wasn't any bit better than it was for the one monday
        >night. plus, those who couldn't be there could have let the
membership know
        >why.
Agreed, and as you will find in the -elections list archives, I did notify
the membership of my reason for not being able to attend.

        >also, i'm willing to
        >bet that if you posted on here asking for some help in getting to
the IRC
        >channel that someone would have poked their head in to help.
Well, then, you'd lose your wager because I did post for help, to the
address specifically listed on the HWG site: irc(at)hwg.org    I have yet to
receive a response! The only responses to date are from Bart and Matt on
- -elections!!

        >no, i'm not holding absence at IRC sessions against any
candidates... i'm
        >holding other things against candidates :)
I am glad to hear that you are weighing other things, too.

Thanks for responding. I am truly glad to hear that you are interested in
this issue.

Tanya Spain

------- End of Forwarded Message