Ann's Questions

by tcspain(at)unccvm.uncc.edu (TANYA SPAIN)

 Date:  Thu, 15 Jan 1998 12:41:41 -0500
 To:  hwg-elections(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
*I am sending this again. We had a major server down & e-mail was out. So,
i'm not sure if this mad it to the list or not. Please accept my apologies
if it is a repeat!*

        >What do you feel makes you qualified to be a member of a small
group where
        >you may be called upon to serve as an executive?

I have been involved in organized groups of all sizes and various
interests, serving in both membership and leadership roles. I have a good
deal of experience and, in my opinion, most importantly, I have a great
deal of willingness and enthusiasm to serve as a GB member of the Guild. I
want to support this Guild by applying my perspective and skills in more
ways than as a listserv contributor. I am volunteering, and campaigning to
serve as a GB member- to help lead and help direct our efforts. I am
volunteering my perspective, management skill, creativity and service.

        >Do you have management experience?
Yes, I do. Currently, I manage the Multimedia Department of Media Services
at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. I am also earning my MBA
(concentrating on Management and Marketing), so I am gaining new ideas,
too.

        >Sales and marketing?
Sales, no. Not in the capacity to which I think you are referring.

Marketing, yes. I have worked in the marketing department of two companies,
as a designer of product, POP (point-of-purchase, displays), branding and
advertising. In my current position at the University, I am heavily
involved in marketing for my department. Too add to this, my MBA pursuit
concentrates on marketing.

        >PR?
Yes and no.

Indirectly, I deal with public relations issues daily at the University.
There are many issues (which may bore you) that my department and unit deal
with which involve PR, advertising and exposure. A major part of my job is
an initiative to increase campus awareness of my department's services and
provide more of them to new clients (colleges/departments). This is
particularly challenging at UNC Charlotte because it is a very divided
campus. I am VERY familiar with working on little to no budget, squeezing
the most out of resources and rewarding efforts in creative ways, to avoid
burn-out.

Directly, as one of four organizers for an international conference
entitled, "Mixed Messages, Image, Text and Technology"
(http://www.uncc.edu/~mixedmsg) I was very much involved in PR for the
conference: advertising, press releases, fund raising and attending local
organizations to promote the conference. We had great community support and
a good, international turn-out!

        >Finance?
Only budgeting experiences. I have taken a couple accounting and finance
classes, so I have a good bit of theoretical knowledge, if that helps.

        >Have you served on other boards, of either non-profit or for-profit
        >corporations?
Yes, I have served on many committees and been a core member of the Mixed
Messages Conference. No corporations.

        >Are you familiar with basic business practices and concepts?
Yes, I must practice them daily in my job and am exposed to them in my
studies, as well.

        >Have you worked on committees or situations where consensus
building was an
        >every day event?
Yes, I am involved with several committees at the University, including:

        The UNC Charlotte Web Support Team: This committee consists of 7
members from various Library & Information Services departments. This
committee is a self-directed team with its own operating budget. We deal
with all University web-related issues including issues such as server
maintenance, policies, training of faculty/staff, on-line instruction,
secured servers and technical support. For more info, please see our site
(http://www.uncc.edu/websup) or (http://www.uncc.edu/lis/websup). All
decisions on are committee are reached by consensus.

        The Summer/Winter Teaching Institute: This committee submitted a
proposal for funding  a semi-annual 3-day workshop on using the web and
multimedia in instruction. This proposal received a sizeable grant which
enabled us to plan two years worth of workshops. I served as one of 5
members. The committee members included a representative from 5 separate
departments/colleges (Psychology, Media Services, English, Education and
Academic Affairs) The committee was tasked with planning the presentations,
acquiring visiting keynote speakers and budgeting our expenses. This
committee voted and majority ruled.

        As mentioned before, I was a key planning member on the Mixed
Messages Conference committee. All decisions for the conference were
reached by consensus.

I am also a member of the CSCA (Charlotte Society of Communicating Arts). I
serve on seasonal committees (Christmas & Spring Fund raisers) for this
professional organization. The organization brings in speakers from across
the country and holds monthly meetings.

As these few examples illustrate, I am very experienced in serving on
committees, working as a part of team, debating issues, problem solving and
working with a variety of personalities to achieve results.

        >What specific talents can you lend to the management tasks that
        >the board faces?

Hopefully, I have covered this in my answers to the questions above. To add
to those talents and skills, I am very much of a problem solver, a "do"er,
and I love working on groups and teams, especially those with which I share
common passions and interests.

The GB, in my opinion, faces a lot of challenges. Aside from managing daily
operations, which I believe is being done very well, I see that a major PR
effort needs to be made. Some sort of validation is needed for the efforts
of the Guild and its members. I believe these challenges are possible and a
lot is being done to address these things. I want to be a part of that.

I hope this helps you to know more about me and what I can offer. If  you
would like me to elaborate on anything, or if you have any other questions,
please let me know.

Thanks,
Tanya Spain