Re: Second Scenario

by tcspain(at)unccvm.uncc.edu (TANYA SPAIN)

 Date:  Thu, 22 Jan 1998 09:37:43 -0500
 To:  hwg-elections(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Scenario Two:
>
>The Guild has expended significant staff resources in developing
>proprietary database and other business tools software. The board is
>approached by another web organization that wants us to share that
>software. How do you respond, and why?

I would want to know how the people who developed the proprietary software
feel about it being used elsewhere.

I would want to know what "policies", if any, we already have in place
regarding the use of our proprietary softtware by non-Guild members.

I would want to know about the web organization asking to share. Do we
support their cause/mission/values? Do they support ours?

I would want to know how they intend to use our software.

I would want to know what we could "share" of theirs, in return.

Knowing all of this, IF the developers were OK with sharing their work
and IF we had no ploicies in place against this sharing or IF the sharing
was in accordance with any policies we did have in place
and IF we were accepting of the cite (i.e., it isn't a porn for kids site ;) )
and IF we were accepting of the way the site planned to implement our software
and IF they supported us (possibly even by displaying our logo or giving
credit to the Guild for developing the software, or whatever we could agree
constitutes "support")
and IF we could share something of thiers that would be useful to us.

On this last point, if they don't have something we could "share" that is
of use to us, then I see their request as one, not of sharing. Instead, I
would see this as simply a request to use some software, for free, created
by us. If that is the case, I would want to know what "good" we get out of
it. If we think that "good" carries a lot of weight and benefit to the
Guild, then great!

If all is good and we are in agreement, I'd say we consider saying OK.

Tanya Spain