by tcspain(at)newmail.uncc.edu (TANYA SPAIN)

 Date:  Wed, 4 Feb 1998 16:33:00 -0500
 To:  hwg-elections(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
These comments were made on the Feb 2nd chat:

<nance> not anything against fred and susan :) but i don't think that just
because
they are here tonight means that they should get the positions

<Bart> Well it looks like they're one of the only ones interested in the job.
At least that's what I get from the -elections/-ops/IRC participation.

Let me begin by stating, Nancy, I am glad that you are weighing your
decision on factors other than being at the chat. I realize that many votes
will be made because of name recognition or un-informed decisions. I do
hope, however, that all of the thoughts, ideas and debates posed here on
- -elections will not go in vain. Many candidates, including Susan and Fred,
have been vocal on -elections, our campaigning arena, hoping to give the
Guild members "more" to go on.

I'm also concerned about Bart's comment above...

1) not all of us can participate in the IRC chat.
        I, happily, use a Macintosh and have yet to find an IRC site
        that has a .sea that will run on the Mac allowing me to participate

        I have sent e-mail to "irc(at)hwg.org" regarding this and have yet
        to recieve a response. I understand that volunteer resources may
        be slim, but if we are going to hope all participate in all events, then
        steps need to be taken to allow for this before judgement calls are
made.

        Also, the advance notice on some of the later chats was not so
"advance",
        it was actually short notice in at least one case.

2) I want to make it clear, if my participation on this lists isn't clear
enough, that
I _AM_ interested in the job.

I am copying this message that I posted to -ops:

To: hwg-ops(at)hwg.org
From: tcspain(at)newmail.uncc.edu (TANYA SPAIN)
Subject: Purpose of -ops
Bcc:
Taken from Corsair's response to closing -ops:
>... [-ops] is especially important in light
>of the GB elections, as this is one of the best places to see the
>candidates in action before "campaigning" time.

Corsair!
There is a list, -elections, that is purposely designed to "see the
candidates in action". Although some candidates are participating in -ops,
the campaigning and debating is on -elections. Please join us!

Tanya Spain

I have seen this referred to, many times, and clarified by active GB
members. The -elections list was set up for campaigning. In my
understanding, this means that campaigning would be frowned upon on any
other lists.

So, Bart, I know you have seen my posts. What about a)my participation on
the lists and b)posting my qualifications and vision to the candidate web
page has given you (or anyone else) the impression that I am not interested
in the job. I sincerely want to know what information I have not provided.
What questions have you had that I have not answered?

Thanks,

Tanya Spain
HWG GB Candidate!

------- End of Forwarded Message