More of Matt's Questions

by tcspain(at)unccvm.uncc.edu (TANYA SPAIN)

 Date:  Thu, 15 Jan 1998 17:56:56 -0500
 To:  hwg-elections(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
        >maybe you could give us an overview of some of your
        >ideas.
        >What changes would you like to see in the Guild?

Please see previous posts. I like the direction and goals of the Guild and
that is a main reason for my becoming a member and why I want to serve on
the GB.

I particularly like the logo program and the apprentice/mentor program. The
Vendor Discount Program is a little weak right now in vendor participation.
I would like to see more vendors added to the list.

I would like to see more name recognition for the Guild.

Let me share a little story. As part of an interview committee, I was asked
if I had ever heard of the "HTML Writer's Guild". At the time, my answer
was "no". I figured I could look it up on-line, surely, so I did a search.
There it was. I browsed it quickly and it "looked" like all you did was
join listserves. OK, heard of it. So, I shared the URL with the University
committee, so they could investigate it themselves.

Intrigued, I visited the site again. I browsed and lingered and joined! I
saw so much potential here. I joined the lists and followed threads. I
considered signing up for the mentor program, but hadn't quite decided. But
mostly, I wondered, why such a great thing was so "unknown". If someone had
put AECT or AIGA or Art Director's Club, I'd know instantly. I want this
Guild to have that name recognition!

I would also like to see the number of paid memberships increase, therefore
increasing revenue.

        >What ideas do you have for making those goals (and the Guild's current
        >large pile of existing goals) a acheivable with existing resources?

Ideas for the Vendor Discount Program:
---------------------------
What incentives are we offering the vendors for their participation?
Can we tell them the exposure they would get in hard numbers, e.g., the
Guild has 50,000 members and its web page is hit __number of times per day?
Have the members been asked if they have services they would like to offer?
Can this be a place for "ads" or logos to be displayed, if vendors participate?
What about a team hitting up some big names?

Ideas for more name recognition:
-----------------------
HWG Ads on search engines
In "welcome" letter to all new members, lead them to the logo program and
encourage its use
Ask that our support of other groups is reciprocated by displaying our logo/ad
Have ad specialty items (pens or hats or tee shirts) that can be freebies
or purchased at cost
A "Press Release" page that is prominent and easy to locate. It could go
over the Guild and what it means to be a member.

Ideas for increasing paid memberships:
---------------------------
I think this can be achieved through positive PR, marketing the Guild and
increasing the quality of services as membership levels increase.

All of our services are quality, but there is little "bonus" for upgrading
a membership. If the basic member services were a little more limited, or
basic, than the paid member services, there might be more incentive to
become a paid member. I also understand that motions have been made and
that taking away services may be negative PR. I am not proposing that
current services be taken away.

Currently, a non-paying member has access to most services. The paying
members must want the upgraded services, which are pretty specific.
Otherwise, why bother paying for something that has no meaning to you? Not
all members are interested in "serving" the Guild as volunteers, etc. Some
are merely interested in what they get from the Guild, which is obviously
something we want or we wouldn't be offering the services.

So, maybe considering ofering some high-level services that are attractive
to a broad scope of people may increase paid memberships. Sometimes, even
offering a freebie, like a tee shirt, can be incentive enough!

        >What thoughts do you have for increasing Guild resources (of any/all
        >sorts) and/or making more efficient use of existing resources?

Seems like I answered this one in some of my past posts. If not, let me
know and I'll try to expand.

And in response to your opinion of my vision statement and qualifications:
        >Spain:
        >======
        >It sounds like this candidate wants to support the Guild doing what it
        >is already doing. While a noble goal, it seems more appropriate to
        >volunteer to work for the guild (perhaps in the volunteer program
        >itself?) and/or to remain active on the lists (especially ops).

Yes, I do want to support the Guild and believe I can offer my service best
as a member of the GB.