Matt's questions

by tcspain(at)unccvm.uncc.edu (TANYA SPAIN)

 Date:  Thu, 15 Jan 1998 15:10:39 -0500
 To:  hwg-elections(at)mail.hwg.org

        >Frederick J. Barnett wrote:
        >> I think that once the election is over, the GB should
        >> resolve to get these programs up and running within 3
        >> months. Considering how long these have been promised,
        >> that's not too short a time frame, but does still give us
        >> ample time to work them out.
        >

        >As an individual personally charged with getting one particular set of
        >services up and running, I have made simmilar resolutions a number of
        >times. I find it frustrating and embarrasing that circumstances have
        >been constantly pushing our opening day further into the future.

I am sure the GB has proposed this, and if not, it really works!

To begin, I would create a project plan. In this plan I would include the
intention of the project or service, a way to judge it's success (e.g.,
feedback or participation) and then a detailed outline of what it would
take to implement the project, who will take responsibility for carrying
out each step and when they will report the progress. A critical path is
then outlined, which charts the steps and progress. Milestone dates set
along this path and used to decide whether or not the project is meeting
its goals. By a certain, agreed upon date, the project is reviewed and a
critical decision is made: continue or stop. Usually, if the project is
going well, meeting goals and there is sufficient data to support these
findings, the project continues. Otherwise, it is dropped, for valid
reasons and energy and resources are focused elsewhere. I see project
planning as an important part of GB's role.

Again, this is probably already happening. If so, then it _is_ reasonable
to expect that by a particular date, the project can be judged as
successful or not and then kept or dropped accordingly.

         >In addition to "resolving" to get services out in three months, what
        >more concrete steps do you (any of the candidates) think the GB could
        >lead the Guild in taking to make more efficient use of our available
        >resources, or to increase those resources?
        >
        >-matt

It is hard to say without knowing what resources are available. How many
volunteers are currently  active and in what capacity? What resources, in
particular, are in need of being increased? Is it strictly a lack of
financial resources? If so, what expenses are being considered and standing
in the way of this Guild's success? If it is strictly human resources, what
efforts are in place for soliciting volunteers? For rewarding volunteers?
For hanging on to the most productive volunteers? Which efforts in these
areas are most successful? May I suggest considering other efforts, if the
current ones aren't working? Are there other resources lacking? What are
these?

Tanya Spain