RE: More follow up's to Scenario1

by tcspain(at)unccvm.uncc.edu (TANYA SPAIN)

 Date:  Wed, 21 Jan 1998 13:50:14 -0500
 To:  hwg-elections(at)hwg.org

>Peter said:
>
>    Are there any limitations placed on, I.e., accepting sponsorship
>    from other sources?
>
>This is an especially good question - would candidates be willing to
>accept GSC's requirement for an agreement that HWG would only have
>one "sponsor" for servers and only one sponsor for graphics software,
>etc.? Or would that be too exclusive and raise the concern that Susan
>mentioned?

I would see this as "too exclusive". I think we should be able to accept
donations from any source unless there is a true conflict of interest. In
this case, that would be if another company was making a similar offer. If
that were to happen (WOW!) then we would have make it clear to BOTH that we
have been offered donations from both and see it as a conflict. In some
cases, we could negotiate to get a donation from both that was not in
conflict. Otherwise, I think we would have to decide which one would be
most beneficial, and accept that, clearly communicating our reasoning to
both companies and tahnking them for their interest.

>Fred said:
>
>    I would say yes. The money could be used to get that hardware
>    connected properly, and then maintain it for awhile.
>
>Would we want to use the cash given for operations costs such as
>salaries to maintain HWG equipment and services?

I think the money could be used in many ways and those "ways" should be
brought up by the board, issues discussed and then, a budget created for
spending that money.

Tanya Spain