Matt's second round of questions

by tcspain(at)unccvm.uncc.edu (TANYA SPAIN)

 Date:  Thu, 15 Jan 1998 17:41:11 -0500
 To:  hwg-elections(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

        >I'm interested in hearing what the candidates have to say
        >about the role of the GB. While that role is likely to be
        >determined largely by the practices of the existing Board,
        >their is plenty of room for individual styles and overall
        >evolution.

The GB seems to be functioning as it should for the Guild and I would be
hesitant to change that function. I agree that the individuals involved may
perhaps change the "personality" of the GB and may bring different
perspectives on issues. I think that these various personalities and
perspective add richness to the group and help to keep it productive. But
as far as the GB's function, I would like to see that remain as it is.

        >What would your role as a GB'er be?

The obvious role, IMHO, of any member of the GB is to assist in leading the
Guild and to aid the Guild in continuing to reach goals and its potential.
On its most fundamental level, I see all Guild members in a role of
service, whether those roles are as volunteers, mentors, listserve guides,
or even users of the services offered by the Guild.

As a part of the GB group/team, I can contribute my experience working on
teams, leading initiatives (as a team), policy making/implementing and my
individual perspective on various matters. My background working for a
University and in teaching (faculty & staff) may also serve the educational
endeavors and issues of the Guild.

I see my individual role on the GB as being one of forward-thinking
leadership. I have a lot to offer the role in the way of experience and a
fresh perspective. I am a positive thinker and problem solver. I am also
creative, which I find helpful when faced with tough issues and problems to
solve. I can contribute all of these things and my personal leadership,
communication and technical skills.

>http://www.hwg.org/msgid/3.0.1.32.19971006092452.0076f458(at)mail.idyllmtn.com
>That's the URL of a message from Kynn on ops a while back...
        >I'm curious to hear the candidates' thoughts...

I can appreciate both sides of this issue. It is very difficult to judge
how well someone will interact with a team and perform. As an analogy, I
hire a few students each semester and have had, in the past, probably very
similar "mixed" results. I do not, however, draw the conclusion that I
shouldn't hire students anymore. The successes and failures have taught me
more about exactly what _qualities_ I am after in students. Now, those are
what I seek in student employee candidates. Students possessing these
"qualities" are those that I now hire and what I am consistently pleased
with. I would advise all voting members to figure out what qualities they
are looking for, and vote for the candidates who have those qualities.
That, in my opinion, is how you will find satisfaction.

I also feel strongly about supporting issues and people that I believe in.
Anyone, and a lot of issues, can be made to look good on paper. Resumes are
great, but as we all know, not enough. Fortunately, this election list can
serve as an "interview", if you will.

I need to be convinced about how a person I am hiring or voting for will
behave and perform in various situations. Seems to me that I have this in
common with the few members who have posed questions to the candidates.
They need to be convinced, too. That seems very fair to me and a good way
to evaluate the unknown.  As a Guild, we need to collectively feel good
about those leading us and confident about the direction in which they are
leading us.

        >I'd also like to hear what you all think should be at issue
        >in this election.

The future of the Guild is the issue. The Guild's future has its strength
in its leadership.

Personally, I would like to see a lot happen over the next three years,
mainly in these areas:
        * Getting the Guild's name out
                I want to see more name recognition in the industry
        * Increased paid membership and providing a couple more quality,
valuable services
                for those memberships, thereby encouraging upgrades
        *Providing more ways for members to get involved.
                I agree with a statement made earlier in these discussions
about some seeing the Guild
                as mainly a bunch of discussion lists. Those lists are
wonderful, but so are the intentions
                of other services. Let's bring those other services to the
spotlight!
        * Continued quality of membership and current services provided
                This needs to be maintained by offering incentives for
activity and rewards for jobs well done.
                It need not be elaborate, sometimes a simple "Thank you"
displayed prominently on a web page
                for a week or so is enough and tee shirts are always nice!
        * Really stepping up to the plate on some of what I see as great
services
                For example, the apprentice/mentor program
        * My "hot spot": on-line courses
                These could be offered either to paid members, only (tickle
the non-paid with the course schedule
                and description, to encourage upgrades) or as another
revenue generator, offer them as a fee-based
                service available to all types of members. These can be
offered by volunteers, I don't think everyone
                will need to be paid in order to teach. Consider offering
another type of incentive.

I know this is an agressive list. Even if a couple things were accomplished
here, I think the Guild would be moving ahead just fine!

>What do the candidates see as strengths,
>talents, ideas, whatever that they alone can contribute.

I think I can, as a GB member, help to accomplish some of my goals and
others mentioned in these discussions!

Thanks again for your attention and consideration.
Tanya Spain