Re: Donating (was Re: Voting Members)

by tcspain(at)unccvm.uncc.edu (TANYA SPAIN)

 Date:  Wed, 21 Jan 1998 13:32:24 -0500
 To:  hwg-elections(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Thatcher,

I wanted to follow-up on this comment of yours:

>The whole point of a donation is
>that you believe in an organizations charter, by-laws, focus and
>mission.

I have to disagree that the "whole point of a donation" is as you have
described it. I work for a University: a non-profit, educational
organization. People make donations to the University all the time. SOME of
these donations are made for the reasons you have mentioned, some even
anonymously. Usually, though, these are made in return for something the
University has already given to the donator. MOST, usually those made in
the largest sums, are definitely made in the name of "What Do I Get In
Return". These returns on the larger donation investments are usually seen
as new gymnasiums named in honor of the donator, grants/scholarship funds
named in honor of the donator, benches with nameplates glistening the name
of the donator, ads in publications listing donation levels and the names
of those in each category and even as a tax deduction for some.

Also, in response to:
>But, in the end, in a tax-deductable educational organization, this is what it
>is, a donation (donation: noun; 1. The act of giving to a fund or cause.
>2. A gift or grant; a contribution.).
What type of "receipt" does the Guild offer to members as proof of this
donation? As the one making the contribution, each (U.S.) member is
entitled, as I understand it, to apply this donation as a deduction to
their taxes. Once again, a return, for some, on their investment.

Tanya Spain