Re: getting volunteers

by tcspain(at)unccvm.uncc.edu (TANYA SPAIN)

 Date:  Mon, 26 Jan 1998 10:48:48 -0500
 To:  hwg-elections(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>i like the intern idea ... or the idea that people could use their
>volunteer experience for more than just the experience.

It sounds like a great idea but I am concerned about its implementation.
Usually, an intern receives credit for their SOMETIMES unpaid work. At the
UNC Charlotte, I am required to coordinate with the intern's professor,
outline the nature of the work and then submit a review of the intern at
the end of the internship. The student is required to apply and pay for a
class (the internship) and receives a grade or pass/fail and credit, if
sucessfully completed.

Is this the type of internship we are talking about? If not, seems like we
are just calling a volunteer an intern. Either way, if someone were to use
the experience on a resume, for example, both would seem to hold the same
weight. As an employer, I would see the experience as being received for
little, to no pay.

Tanya Spain