Proposal

by tcspain(at)unccvm.uncc.edu (TANYA SPAIN)

 Date:  Mon, 12 Jan 1998 15:41:25 -0500
 To:  hwg-elections(at)hwg.org

>On the other hand, I caution against voting _merely_ based on
>volume.  The qualities that make a good list contributor may
>not necessarily be the best qualities for running an organization.
>

>--
>Kynn Bartlett <kynn(at)hwg.org>
>President, HTML Writers Guild
>http://www.hwg.org/

I am glad to hear that there is also a concern for skills and
qualifications necessary for being a Governing Board member. It is, in my
opinion, extremely important to find someone both willing and capable to
perform as a GB member.

Time is a factor alluded to, but important to consider. Its no secret that
being a GB member is very time consuming. Someone willing to seriously take
on such a committment deserves to be considered.

Capability is also integral to any GB position. I think questions to
consider should be experience related, such as:
        How well does this candidate work on teams?
        What history of teams and on-line collaboration does this candidate
have?

        What skills and experience does the candidate have in running or
        contributing to the operations of a corporation, professional group
         or other similar endeavor.

I would like to propose the following:
Why not ask have the members pose specific questions (following Eva's
example) about their concerns, about how they stand on certain issues
important to them as a Guild member and about their backgrounds and related
experiences?

I agree that this choice is tough if you don't "know" the candidates. So,
what do you say? How about a virtual debate or "town meeting" where this
"election" list can serve as a tool for getting to know the candidates and
their qualifications better!

Tanya Spain