RE: Photoshop 5.0 and text...

by "Shay Jones" <shay(at)wcnet.net>

 Date:  Tue, 22 Sep 1998 09:11:29 -0500
 To:  "'MIchael Channing wilson'" <webmaster(at)lucidmind.com>
 Cc:  "'Agrippina'" <nate(at)ucla.edu>, <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Great tip - Thanks
With all that I know about PS4, I can see I still have a lot to learn about
PS5.  I'll run a practice of your tip this afternoon.

Shay

Shay Jones wrote:

> Well, though it's not as simple as PS4 was, you can modify the text and
play
> with the filters.  You just have to do a little more work.
>
> 1.  Unlike PS4, the "Preserve Transparency" is always set on Text and
cannot
> be changed.  Therefore, you cannot apply filters to the layer that has the
> text on it - grrrrrrr!!!

Sure you can, you must render the layer first.

> I haven't found another way to apply the filters and modify the text
WITHOUT
> applying another layer or using Actions.  If there is another suggestion,
> I'd like to hear it as well.

See my previous post today for the walk trhough. This will make your
life much more simple. The porgram is actually easier to use than PS 4
once you learn the little differences. Another thing you might be
interested to know is that if you whish to use the same text effects on
mutiple "text layers" all you have to do is:

click on the text layer, in the layers pallette that has the effects you
wish to duplicate
click on the layer menu
click on effects
click on copy effects
click on the text layer, in the layers pallette, that you wish to apply
the effects to
click on the layer menu
click on effects
click on paste effects

This whole process take only a few seconds, once you get used to it, and
saves time over creatng and using actions for effects you may never use
again.

If you have any more Qs just let me know!

Later,

> Shay
>  _______ __   __ __________  ___
> |     __|  |_|  |   _   |  \/  /
> |__     |   _   |   _   ||    |
> |_______|__| |__|__| |__||____|
>
> =====================================
> Bare Tranquility Web Design
> http://www.wcnet.net/shay/index.html
> shay(at)wcnet.net  /  shay(at)Bayou.uh.edu
> Member of the HTML Writer's Guild
> http://www.hwg.org/
> =====================================
>
> I thought there was a way of applying filters and effects on photoshop 5
on
> the text layer without having to make it into a regular layer; when it was
> advertised, it said you could play with the text, and then change the font
> again and what not without having to redo it all. Guess I misread it =(
>
> -Nat

Michael Channing Wilson
Digicom Design
1521 Browns ave
Charlotte, NC 28208
It seems my hypocrisy knows no bounds...