RE: Backgrounds

by "Mario Figueiredo" <marfig(at)ebonet.net>

 Date:  Sat, 21 Nov 1998 02:06:43 -0000
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Lynne wrote:
>
> >Forgive my ignorance.
>
> But this is the information age. Ignorance is not forgivable, sorry.

And this is also the 20th century. Neither it is bad manners. :(

> >I am trying to create a background using PSP.  I thought my
> width should be
> >680 pixels but when I open the image up in my browser I get a repeat
> >pattern.  I know there must be a simple answer.
>
> Your simple answer is contained in your question. Obviously you have the
> resolution set wrong on your monitor. Reduce it to 640x480 to
> avoid problems
> like this.

To do this you'll have to check first if this new resolution suits your
needs. Most of the HTML editors nowadays come with built-in options so just
you can see your work on different resolutions.

If that's not your case, most probably you would like to try BrowserSizer
from http://www.vasile.com/racecar/stampware/. It's freeware (you'll only
need to give the guy a stamp).
This little (895Kb) piece of software will change the size of your currently
opened browser (IE and NN) for the typical resolutions.

> Others will recommend that you make your background 1280 or more pixels
> wide. But why go to such lengths to solve a simple problem?

The so called "others" would recomend this just because it's much better to
see a background than can show on any screen size, instead of one than only
shows correctly on a given size.
Off course, this depends on the kind of background you are trying to use. If
it is one that will degrade along the screen or one that will show a bar on
the left side and the rest will be one color, then go for the 1280x5.

> Of course, you must decide how to resolve the issue of your ignorance, and
> to whom you will listen.

Nice going :(

Regards,
Mario Figueiredo