Re: Excel Charts to Web Site

by "Ramon Bartschat" <bartschat(at)goldnet.sk>

 Date:  Thu, 28 Jan 1999 09:14:48 +0100
 To:  "Html Writers Guild Graphics Discussion Group" <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello Marcia

I found no way how to export a excel chart as a vector graphic, so i see no
sense in using Corel Draw, but
I made a test with Corel Photopaint and it looked perfect.

Here is what I would do:

1.
Create your graphic (chart) in Excel

2.
Display the chart in the maximum size possible on your screen. Drag the
handles to resizie the chart to occupy as much cells as possible.

3.
Select the whole spreadsheet and with the "Fill color" button on the
formatting toolbar fill in ANY color (for practical matters avoid 50% black
though). This way we get rid of the cells borders and can later select only
the chart more easily

4.
Capture the screen. Press (Print Screen) or (Alt-Print Screen)

5.
Go to Photopaint and select [Edit] / [Paste] / [As New Document]

7.
With the "Lasso Mask Tool" select the chart. (That is why we filled the
spreadsheet in any color before to get rid of the cells borders and
facilitate the work of the lasso tool.

6.
Reduce (resample) to the desired size. Make sure that the image only has 72
dpi.
Use [Image] / [Resample] - Important: Leave the "Anti-Alias" checkbox
enabled

7.
Apply an "Adaptive Unsharpen" effect filter of 100% (or less depending on
how much you resampled)
Use [Effects] / [Sharpen] / [Adaptive Unsharpen]

8.
Reduce colors to 32 or 16 colors (Paletted 8bit). Charts only have a limited
amount of colors but since we have an anti-aliased resampled image it might
be smart to use 16 or 32 colors and not less.
Use [Image] / [Convert to] / [Paletted 8bit] - Define Palette: Optimized,
Dithering: None,

9.
Export as GIF
(DON'T EXPORT AS JPEG!!! That is the wrong filetype for this type of image)

Ready