Re: Background Gif

by "Ramon Bartschat" <bartschat(at)goldnet.sk>

 Date:  Tue, 18 May 1999 16:18:26 +0200
 To:  "Andrea Clarke" <andiepc(at)hotmail.com>,
<hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Hi folks:
>
>I am using a gif from a "free" graphics site as a background to a site I'm
>developing.  I want the background to have a repeating picture on the left
>hand boarder.  What actually appears is the pictures on both the left and
>right side of the boarder, although the original graphic contained only the
>pictures on the left side.
>
>Do I have to specify the width of the page in order for the background to
be
>presented only once?
>
>The page is at: http://www.magma.ca/~sclarke/HIM/HimHome.html
>
>TIA for any help.  You may e-mail me directly or post.
>
>Cheers,
>Andrea Clarke

Hi Andrea!

This is a tipical case of a background image not being wide enough.
And the color index is set to 256 even though only 16 colors are used.
And whoever created that yellow background should be executed, the image is
essentially noise, yellow mixed with white, next to impossible to compress
well with GIF.

What you need to do as a minimum is change the width from 672 (odd number
anyhow) to a minimum of 1024 so that even the biggest screens will get it
right.

I took the liberty to change the background to a solid yellow fill, I
reduced colors to 16 and expanded the width to 1024.

Before it had a filesize of 18183
After it has a filesize of 4618  (even though the graphic is bigger -almost
double in size- now)

That is a rather big difference.

I will send you the optimized version directly.

:-)
Ramon Bartschat