RE: Creating "engraved" or watermarked background

by "Martin T Hugo" <martyh(at)erinet.com>

 Date:  Tue, 1 Jun 1999 20:23:48 -0400
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi all,

You can get the reverse embossed effect you are looking for in PSP5 as
follows.  First of all you must use multiple layers.

Lets use a large letter A as an example.  Set it up on a white background.
Lets also assume that the graphic you have is already created so nothing is
selected.

1.  Go to Selections and select all.
2.  Go to Selections, modify selection, set transparent, pick white.  Now
you have the letter A selected.
3.  Create a new layer, make it current.
4.  Go to Image, effects, drop shadow.  Select black, blur and opaque to
taste.  The shadow is created on the new layer.
5.  turn off the background layer (or the one with the graphic on it) to see
how your "impression" looks.

Play with the settings to get the look just right.  You can add cut-out
effects too to help the effect.

HTH

Martin T Hugo
Wilmington Computer Services