RE: Can photoshop slice vs. imagestyler

by "Gary Barber" <gazbe(at)omen.com.au>

 Date:  Fri, 11 Jun 1999 18:23:05 +0800
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

Michael

I seem to be doing this all the time in PS lately. So here's my experience.
Unless you have the guides set at an exact pixel value the  Marquee (even
with snap to guides) will go the nearest pixel.  Not bad if you get it right
each time. But you often don't, so this means that sometimes you end up with
a dice and slice thats one px out in spots.

This is my solution, may not be the best, but it works for me. Turn on snap
to grid. and set the grid for 1x1 pixel then place the guides on the one
pixel grid lines. Lock the guides, then hide the grid. Save the file. Now
Marquee with snap to guides on.  This way you get very precise guide
placement (at the pixel level where you need it) and hence a clean exact
dice each and every time.

Of course use the actions on the processing of the dice after the Marquee is
set in place.

In many cases I don't care what the pixel values are, as I build the hangers
(CSS,layers or table) to the image.  Using this way I can change the image
and recut any part if I need to at a later stage (as often happens).

I think Ulead have a product to dice as well, not used it so I can't
comment. Have others used any products like this (besides imagestyler and
fireworks)

Gary Barber
radharc.