RE: "web-safe" #990000

by tariqs(at)comm.com (Sherif Muhammad Tariq)

 Date:  Wed, 7 Jul 1999 13:33:00 -0400
 To:  "HWG Graphics Posting" <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi,

> 1. The opening splash page (currently at http://www.lwc.edu/cec/) has a
> single graphic animation that I would like centered on the page no mater
what type of monitor/browser you have.

The effect is simple to achieve. Create a table with only one cell, and set
both the width and the height of both the table and the cell to 100%. Then
set ALIGN="CENTER" and VALIGN="CENTER" for the column and you are done.

Or just steal the following code :-)

<TABLE WIDTH="100%" height="100%"><TR>
  <TD WIDTH="100%" HEIGHT="100%" ALIGN="CENTER" VALIGN="CENTER">

   Hello there. This text is centered.

  </TD>
</TR></TABLE>

The neat thing is this effect even works in Netscape 3.0

> 2. The other pages in the site (http://www.lwc.edu/cec/main.htm,
> http://www.lwc.edu/cec/hef.htm, http://www.lwc.edu/cec/literacy.htm) all
> have a thin gray or black line along the bottom of the page.

I checked out the pages in IE5.0 and I did not see any lines, but Netscape
4.06 did display the thin gray lines.

You can fix the problem, by going into the HTML window in Dreamweaver and
removing the last row in your table, the one which contains column upon
column of transparent gifs.

BTW, this will fix another problem at http://www.lwc.edu/cec/main.htm : the
transparent.gif image on the last row is being loaded from a folder
"Macintosh HD/Longwood in Progress/CEC/".