RE: Transparent GIFs

by "Martin T Hugo" <martyh(at)erinet.com>

 Date:  Wed, 7 Apr 1999 19:27:16 -0400
 To:  "Greg Hart" <ghh1701(at)earthlink.net>,
<hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi All,

PSP5 is a little quirky sometimes and when you have created your image in
16k mode and try to save as GIF it gives the warning about having to convert
it to 256 cols and 1 layer continue?  Saying yes "appears" to convert it and
save as a GIF but check the info on the task bar and you will see that 9 out
of 10 times it has not done so(still says 16k colors), even though the title
bar for the graphic says xyz.gif!

If however you do a deliberate color reduction manually before saving as a
GIF it always works.  Also, GIFs don't load with transparency auto set to
view so you might think a file has no transparency when it actually does
(shift-v to view transparency).  To guarantee transparency I usually manual
reduce to 256 cols, save out as GIF and close image, reload and then set
trans.  Works for me!

PSP5 comes with animation shop so it will do everything that GIF
construction set will do and more!!

HTH

Marty

I recommend PSP 5.0 to anyone.  Its not Photoshop but it will do a lot of
the same things, its easier to learn and its evaluation version is fully
functional.