RE: web design career becoming obsolete? please no!

by "Liliane Miller" <lmiller(at)carolina.rr.com>

 Date:  Tue, 8 Jun 1999 16:08:03 -0400
 To:  "Hwg-Graphics" <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I wrote:

> > the career of "web designer" become obsolete or at
> least be reduced to a
> > minimum wage job?     with things changing so
> much, how does one choose a
> > web field to study for the future?
>
> >  but it has the kernel of a real issue in it, in
> that more and more people
> > are looking sideways at me, saying "oh, i set up
> MY OWN web page...it was
> > EASY!"   with html editors becoming more and more
* "user friendly",  isp's
*
* martin wrote:>
> I disagree completely. Just because everyone CAN
> design a web page,
> doesn't mean every can design a GOOD web page. Just
> because anyone CAN buy
> crayons at the local art shop, doesn't mean everyone
> is an artist. I can
> buy a piano, but this doesn't make me a concert
> pianist.
>
> Making a web page is not just about using wysiwyg
> html editors and tossing
> together a bunch of links. While technically it's
> not a difficult task
> (unless you plan on adding extensive interaction),
> it requires an artistic
> flair which most people don't have.

* mk

Martin,

I totally agree...but the challenge right now  is convincing the public of
this (moreso  the non-web savvy public), esp with so many isps (again, like
bellsouth.net) going out of their way to say "hey...you don't need one of
those silly web designers...just c'mon on over here and we'll do all that
for ya for FREE!!"    I suppose that all we can do is just like everyone on
here has been saying...be professional, have integrity, give the client your
best, and the cream will rise to the top.

liliane