RE: Compression

by "The Wise One!!!" <cardpro(at)zebra.net>

 Date:  Wed, 22 Jul 1998 00:19:46 -0500
 To:  "Peter Eklund" <peklund(at)metrolink.net>,
"Hwg-Graphics@Hwg. Org" <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Sorry Peter,

Unlike a sponge, once they are compressed, they are forever small.

The compression process actually *removes* image information. In JPG's it's
in the form of image detail. In gif's, it's colors. Both give some control
over dpi but in jpg's it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Afraid you'll need to start with the originals again...

Alan S. Atwood

"'It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards,' the Queen
remarked."
(Lewis Carroll)