RE: Text Manipulation Question

by "Michael Gerholdt" <gerholdt(at)ait.fredonia.edu>

 Date:  Sat, 19 Sep 1998 09:48:53 -0400
 To:  "Virginia Blalock" <skatefan(at)visions.simplenet.com>,
<HWG-GRAPHICS(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Virginia wrote:

>>- PSP at 16 millions of colors, IMAGE | DISTORTIONS | has a command that
>>will make an image circular. It makes the image into the entire circle,
>>though, rather than 'bending' it into the perimeter of the circle. If you
>>place the text properly you can get this effect, however.

>What version? I have 5.01 and under DEFORMATIONS| CIRCLE, all I got was a
>circle in the middle of the thing.

Yes, it's DEFORMATIONS, not DISTORTIONS . . . a late-night brain fog.

The effectiveness of this action depends a bit on the nature of the original
image. The closer to a square image it is, the nicer it will be. Yes, it
will make a circle "in the middle of the thing" - of either the entire image
or of the portion of the image that is selected - which then becomes a
floating selection itself. If nothing is selected, the entire image will
become circular against the background color. If the entire image is
selected, it will all become circular but will become a floating selection
over the original image. If a portion is selected, same thing.

If you make a new image, square, and place text in the upper portion of it
and make no selections, you can get a bent, circular effect. However, this
twists the text as well so that it isn't facing forward on the edges. It may
obscure some of the letters and will work best for very short texts.

>>- Have a look at Text Art in  Word Perfect and also in Word, if you have
>>one of them. You can bend the font of your choice in many ways, then copy
>>and paste into PSP and manipulate from there with good results after
>>playing with it a while.

>I have not gotten good results with this yet. Does anyone know of any
>tutorials concerning this?

I have found it to work quite well. Not aware of any tutorials for it but am
sure they exist. Some fonts may present better than others; the image size
will be too large but as you import into PSP you have a re-sizing option.
You'll then have to boost to 16 millions of colors to get other effects.
Sorry not to be more complete but not sure exactly what aspects of it you
are having difficulty with.

I had success (I think!) with this on http://www.fredonia.edu/fallfest/
using WordPerfect and PSP 5. Also the Human Resources banner at
http://www.fredonia.edu/humanresources/ - both large and smaller banners on
subsequent pages, q.v. if you'd like.

HTH,
Michael Gerholdt