RE: Quality

by "Eric J Hoffman" <ehoffman(at)minn.net>

 Date:  Mon, 25 Jan 1999 22:09:23 -0600
 To:  "rbrooks" <crazybreadstick(at)yahoo.com>,
<hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
UNfortunately, among other things, the color depth is what it is.  Instead
of the ability to display in 16 million colors, you only see the actual 256.
There are a few settings you can play with such as dithering options to help
a bit.

Jpeg supports colors up to and over 16 million, GIF only runs with 256
colors.  And if you are not aware of the "Web Safe Palette" of 216 colors,
be sure to read up on it so you understand the implications of designing
graphics with more than 256.  (which I do more frequently now as the average
reaches 74% of people having their color depth set at 16M or better.)

Eric J Hoffman
Director of Internet Initiatives
Meagher & Geer, PLLP