RE: Blurred shadow without banding

by "Martin T Hugo" <martyh(at)erinet.com>

 Date:  Tue, 6 Apr 1999 20:01:15 -0400
 To:  "Dr. Jerry M. Obaldo" <tinola(at)pworld.net.ph>,
<hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Jerry,

You need to produce your graphics in 16k mode to get the shading then use an
optimized median cut employing *nearest color* when reducing to 256 colors.
You won't get any shading using websafe colors because websafe colors won't
dither.

Note too that almost any shaded (graduated) graphic will look bad in 256
color mode (note *mode* as in windows, not 256 col graphics).

HTH

Marty