RE: Converting files

by "Mike Eovino" <meovino(at)erols.com>

 Date:  Tue, 20 Apr 1999 08:37:35 -0400
 To:  "Chuck Pratt" <cops(at)firstcop.com>,
<hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

> Have been given a site which ws done in MS Publisher 97 which needs to
> be completely re-worked.
>
> Is there any logical way to convert it to a real HTML file that will
> enable me to make
> changes using either Netscape Composer, Arachnofilia, or Word?
>
> My initial step will be to place good Meta tags in it and I can't figure
> out how to get into it's HTML (if it's in HTML).

I don't know how Publisher writes its HTML.  If it's like Word, it writes
"real" HTML, it's just REAL bad (lots of unnecessary tags, uses tables quite
often, etc.).  However, you should be able to take the HTML it generated and
open it up in any good HTML editor (I'd stay away from Word, it will mangle
your code) and edit it.  If it works like PowerPoint, then it creates a
graphic of the page and plops it in the middle of an HTML page.  In this
case, there's not much you can do, because what you need to get at has been
turned into a GIF or JPEG.

You might want to consider redoing the pages from scratch, if there aren't
too many.  You should be able to open up the pages in Publisher and copy the
text out, then paste it into your HTML editor or WYSIWYG design tool.  This
way, you write clean HTML from the start, rather than trying to tune up
something that could be really ugly.

As for tools, Netscape Composer is ok, I've never used Arachnofilia, Word 97
writes some of the worst HTML (IMHO), but Word 2000 is supposed to do a
pretty good job.  I'm a big fan of HomeSite, and I know many other people on
the list are as well.

Just my $0.02

Mike Eovino
Webmaster