RE: web design -- one Photoshop file with everything ???

by "Gary Barber" <gazbe(at)omen.com.au>

 Date:  Fri, 11 Jun 1999 22:16:59 +0800
 To:  "Hwg-Graphics@Hwg. Org" <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

Lisa writes

> I can see the value of the layout principle --- but to me it just seems
> more practical to create the images that you are using individually and
> work with them in a page layout program if ideally what we want to do
> is present the client with a web-based mechanical (in the same way
> graphic desginers present comps or mechanicals to clients). Sooner or
> later one would have to use HTML and whatever scripts are needed to
> make the thing function. I guess my main concern is it seems to add a
> lot more time and labor to a job to rely on Photoshop as a layour tool.
> But like anything I guess if it works for you and works well -- then
> its not as time-consuming as one might think.

(see my previous post first)

Lisa

I can see your point and for some sites, yes this is the way to go.  I have
done like you, the separate image builds and a rough HTML build too, this
can be just as fast with the later WYSIWYG editors.

But tell me what do you do when the client wants to see all three of the
different designs that you have paper sketched on their screen, because they
"just can't see it" . This can be a lot of building of almost three site
templates for nothing. When a series of one solid image visual mockups can
do the trick.  Now these's mockups are perfect but they give the rough idea
to the client. Well thats how I use them.

I suppose like you say its all down to speed. I would like to know what
other people do.

This industry is young.  And you'll find that even the "experts" training
people these days don't have any of the answers.

Gary

radharc.