RE: Backgrounds

by "Mario Figueiredo" <marfig(at)ebonet.net>

 Date:  Sun, 22 Nov 1998 12:51:49 -0000
 To:  "Michael Gerholdt" <gerholdt(at)ait.fredonia.edu>,
<hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Hey everybody!
>
> I know that the more dry the humor, the more unrecognizable.
> Especially via
> email.

Yep. This is true. Most of the time 'smiles' do help to reflect our
emotional status.

> I apologize once again for taking too much for granted.
[...]
> Anyone with half a funnybone and half a glimmer of consciousness
> could have
> seen that's what I meant. At least, so I thought. But I was, apparently,
> once again, wrong.

Once again, 'smiles'. They do *really* help.

> Sorry to have appeared rude and even more sorry to have appeared
> to give bad
> advice.

Well, on that case it's me who have to ask for sorry. :)
Off course you are right. Even though you do say that sometimes you take
things for granted, it's also true that I also took for granted a situation
that didn't occur. Worst, I really should have filled my complaints to you
personally, instead of doing that to the list, according to the guild rules.

Oh, well! Another email misunderstanding ;)
When will we ever learn...

Regards, and sorry once again,
Mario Figueiredo

PS: A tip I found somewhere:

When doing those >1200 wide backgrounds, it's a good practice to make them
5-10 pixels tall. Since the browser will tile the image, and not stretch it,
a 5-10 pixels tall image will be processed faster by the browser and if you
look closely it will not change much it's disk size (especially when in GIF
format, and less if it was optimized). I actually tried this and I have been
able to make 1280x10 background gifs that would only add 100-300 bytes to
it's 1280x1 counterpart.