RE: text in stone

by "Shay Jones" <shay(at)wcnet.net>

 Date:  Fri, 27 Nov 1998 02:48:03 -0600
 To:  "John R. Cox" <john(at)bestconnect.net>,
<hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I notice that the lettering is a light gray color instead of having a stone
pattern.  The problem is that your lettering doesn't reflect the same
background as your stone.

1.    Use your Marquee Tool to capture a small square of your stone
background
2. Do Edit / Define Pattern
3. Then Open a new layer
4. Set your font to Times Roman (or whatever you're using)
5. Use the Type Mask Tool (It creates an outline of the lettering instead of
filling with a color (Make sure transparency is turned off on the layers
menu)
6. Do Edit / Fill / Pattern - This puts your stone pattern into the
lettering

I used the Alien Skin plugin for the carved stone, though I also tried it
with Ulead Type  plugin and got the same results by playing with the
settings - It may be slightly different for you depending on which plugin
you're using, but the setting should be about the same.

1. While the lettering is still selected - the pattern has just been
filled - I selected Alien Skin / Carve
2. I set the Bevel drop-off to flat with a shadow depth of 41 and a bevel of
41
3. That was it - Product complete
4. For Ulead, I selected the Lighting plugin then modified the light color
to a light gray and entered a 5 for the Elevation and a 45 for the Light
Direction - Same results. - Incidentally, I also ran your type through Eye
Candy and played with the Carve setting and got pretty much the same results
once again.

Good luck

Shay

Greetings,
I'm looking for a technique to better put text on a stone image here:
http://www.vis-arts.com/vosr/
I'd like it to have a "real chiseled" look. Nothing I have tried with
Photoshop 5.0 worked well . . . Any ideas?
TIA,