RE: WP Software

by "Anthony McLin" <mclin(at)scf-fs.usc.edu>

 Date:  Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:27:25 -0800
 To:  "Starr Wolf" <starrwolf(at)starrwolf.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Sounds like what you are looking for is either MSWord or Word Perfect.  Both
are in the same price range.  MSWord has some built in templates, some of
which are for legal documents.  Im not sure if WP has these as well, but it
is capabale of templates as well.  Both can import and export to each
other's format, although the MSWord format is considered standard (readable
by anyone with win95 and wordpad, wordviewer, etc.)  WP is much better at
importing and exporting and can do so with almost any PC format imaginable.
Word Perfect also tends to be better at addressing and envelopes.  On Win98
MSWord will use the same addressbook as MS Outlook and Windows.  WP has its
own addressing database and messaging center which can be used for email as
well.  It pushes Netscape the same way that MSWord pushes IE.  MSWord can be
obtained independently of MSOffice.  I don't know if WP can be purchased
independently of the Corel Word Perfect Suite which contains a few other
programs such as Quatro Pro, the best spreadsheet program, Corel
Presentations, a much more versitile presentation program than MS Power
Point, and more.  My copy of WP8 had a free copy of Grolier's Encyclopedia
thrown in even though it wasn't marked on the box.  WP also has specialty
multilingual, mathematic, and typographic fonts that MSWord doesn't.  WP is
also much more customizable than MSWord and its macros are easier to use.
WP also comes with about 1200 fonts (Win95/98 will only allow 256 to be
allowed on a system at once) which in general are better than the ones that
come with MSWord.  I own and use both and prefer WP for its better
functionality and easier formatting.

I hope that helps - if you want any more specifics just email me.

P.S. WP has an install method which lets you run off of a CD.  Although much
slower it allows for 20 Mb installation - much smaller than any installation
of MSWord if you are concerned about hard drive space.

"Recently I have found that slowly I am discovering myself as I lose my
mind."
                    -Anthony McLin
Anthony McLin

http://www-scf.usc.edu/~mclin