Re: Scanners

by cribbs(at)isgroup.net (Derriel Cribbs)

 Date:  Wed, 24 Jun 1998 16:04:26 -0400
 To:  "Steve Bassler" <bassmstr(at)westol.com>
 Cc:  "HWG - Graphics List" <hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

Steve Bassler wrote...

>never needed it, I'm not really sure).  Same question - do I need the
>vendor's version, or can I get by with what I have?

My experience with it all is that once *properly* installed, the scanner is
recognized by all of the graphics programs I use. I must admit I have not
played with OCR software much. To answer the question, I think that vendors
supply a version of a program so the end-user doesn't install the scanner
and find that he/she has to download or buy a program just to use it. If you
currently use photoshop or PhotoImpact or any of the popular programs, you
should be okay. Again, make sure the scanner is installed properly before
giving up on the software. I know I was very frustrated when first setting
mine up.

HTH,

-d
-------