RE: Excel Charts to Web Site

by "Michael Gerholdt" <gerholdt(at)ait.fredonia.edu>

 Date:  Sat, 30 Jan 1999 11:38:29 -0500
 To:  "Banda,
Marcia (MHD)" <marcia_banda(at)mhd.nashville.org>,
<hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> I am a novice web developer.  I would appreciate advice and/or pointers
> regarding the most effective manner in which to prepare graphs, pie
> charts, etc. created in Excel for the Internet.

I did this extensively when I put the entire college operating budget
document online. You can see it at http://www.fredonia.edu/admin/budget/cob.
Page through it a bit and you will see a number of charts here and there.

It was a bit difficult to be consistent because the source material came
from various departments and wasn't all the same to begin with as it was
generated by different people.

However, here are some pointers:

1) Do all your re-sizing of the graphs in Excell. Just activate the graph
cell and change the dimensions. Keep an eye on the dimensions numbers and
play with it a bit and you will come up with fairly consistent results.

2) My next step was to do a screen capture in Paint Shop Pro. Importing the
graph didn't work nearly so well.

3) Once I had the graph in PSP I did _no_ resizing whatsoever - as I said,
did that all in Excell.

4) I then re-did all the text in the chart to a size that was appropriate.
No anti-aliasing - use arial or verdana - something that looks good and
sharp at smaller sizes. If you need to use lines to point from text to a
pie-slice, use only vertical, horizontal or 45 degree lines for a nice sharp
line.

5) GIF, not JPEG, is the appropriate format for this.

Hope this helps!

Michael Gerholdt